Edmonds incorporates on August 14, 1890.

  • By Charles LeWarne
  • Posted 11/23/2010
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 9636
On August 14, 1890, Edmonds, Washington, becomes incorporated when Washington Secretary of State Allen Weir files the order creating it as a fourth-class town. The process leading toward this result had begun months earlier and included action by local citizens, Snohomish County commissioners, a local election, and even, according to local legend, several four legged residents. With town founder George Brackett (1842-1927) as its first mayor and a five member council, the new town will soon adopt crucial ordinances to effect local governance and to set a social climate.  Thus, Edmonds prepares to evolve from a seaside village to a thriving city during the twentieth century.

Brackett's Bull and Others

Bollivar Brackett and Bill Brackett were among the Edmonds residents whose names appeared in the census count as their seashore village sought incorporation in the spring of 1890. The two did indeed live in the community, but neither was truly eligible to participate in such an undertaking, for Bollivar was a bull and Bill a cattle dog owned by town founder George Brackett. When Brackett’s zeal to incorporate reached a snag because the population fell two short of the three hundred residents required, townspeople simply listed their names. And who would ever know? So the legend goes. Alas, there is no evidence it is true! (Nor is a later version any more reliable: that Bolivar [sic] and Isaac Brackett were two oxen whose names appeared on the petition requesting action toward incorporation.)
 
Brackett was clearly the person most likely to lead an incorporation effort for he was and is generally considered the town founder. Although he was not the first person to own property along the beach that became Edmonds, Brackett¹s purchase of 147 acres there in 1870 was pivotal. He platted and sold properties, started a shingle mill, drained marshes, built a wharf, and generally led in turning a stretch of beach and its timbered hillside into a town. Perhaps it was inevitable that the effort to incorporate followed. Edmonds publisher and historian Ray V. Cloud, incidentally, wrote in 1953 that his own research efforts failed to bring to light any evidence to substantiate the oxen story that had been handed down by early settlers (Cloud, p. 12).
 
The petition prompted the incorporation procedure to get underway. At their June 7 meeting the Snohomish County commissioners set town boundaries and called for a census; a formal order followed on June 23. An election was scheduled for August 7 at the town hall with a three-member election board headed by Justice of the Peace George P. Bartlett. That day a majority of the citizens favored the incorporation of Edmonds, which would encompass some 600 acres that stretched along the waterfront and up the hill to the east. Brackett had been elected the first mayor, along with C. T. Roscoe (1844-1919) as treasurer and a council made up of Fred L. Brown (d. 1933), William H. Hamlin, William Plummer, Peter S. Schreiber (1859-1913), and Wellington F. Smith (1845-1899). Hamlin, Plummer, and Roscoe would also later serve terms as mayor and Roscoe became Snohomish County Prosecuting Attorney.

The Snohomish County Council confirmed the election at their August 11 meeting, and on August 14, 1890, Washington Secretary of State Allen Weir formally filed the order creating Edmonds as a fourth-class town.

Conducting Town Business

The city council met for the first time on August 20, and began the process of governance, authorizing a clerk who would procure books and a seal for the town. Over the next several weeks a marshal, a police justice, and a street commissioner were duly appointed. Several were designated salaries that were based on their levels of activity. The marshal, for instance, received a salary fixed at 5 percent of all taxes and licenses collected by him and $1.00 for each arrest plus costs for boarding any prisoners.

Other actions taken that fall showed concern for Edmonds's social climate. Ordinance Number One established licensing for the distribution of any liquor, wine, beer, or intoxicating beverages; this was replaced by far more comprehensive legislation 24 years later. The second ordinance outlawed any boarding house, house of ill fame or any place for the practice of prostitution or, as a handwritten note in the margin suggested, bawdy houses.

Successive legislation dealt with the licensing of dogs and bitches, the abatement of such nuisances as the slaughter of animals and burning of rubbish, the licensing of theaters, shows, exhibitions and public amusements, and of auctioneers, hawkers, and peddlers. Not for a year did the council get around to confronting such basic governmental matters as property assessments and taxation.

A municipal election in December 1890 brought slight changes in the slate of city officials. Mayor Brackett was replaced by Councilman William H. Hamlin, a well known Puget Sound navigator who had arrived in 1881, purchased large land holdings, and built a wharf.

Eighteen years after its incorporation Edmonds was elevated to a third-class town -- a designation no longer in use - and in 1970 it was empowered to adopt its own code. In 2010 the city continued to have a strong mayor form of government with a seven-member city council. Its boundaries had expanded substantially over the decades especially to the east of the shoreline and north, and they included 8.9 square miles of land. With a population hovering around 41,000  and quite likely no oxen -- Edmonds was the 22nd largest city in the state. 


Sources: “The Edmonds Review, September 15, 1905,” in “A Look Back at the First Century in Edmonds,”  Edmonds, 100 Years for the Gem of Puget Sound ed. by in Harry Reinert (Edmonds: The Edmonds Paper, 1990), 35; Ray V. Cloud, Edmonds The Gem of Puget Sound: A History of the City of Edmonds (Edmonds: Edmonds Tribune-Review Press, 1955); History of Snohomish County, Washington Vol. 1 ed. by William Whitfield  (Chicago and Seattle: Pioneer Historical Publishing Company, 1926), pp. 547-77; HistoryLink.org Online Encyclopedia of Washington State history, “Brackett, George (1842-1927)” (by Charles LeWarne), “Edmonds -- Thumbnail History” (by Charles LeWarne), and “George and Etta Brackett file a plat for the first townsite in Edmonds on August 23, 1884,” (by Charles LeWarne) and “Edmonds is
incorporated on August 11, 1890” (by Alan J. Stein) http://www.historylink.org/ (accessed November 1, 2010); City of Edmonds website accessed November 1, 2010 (http://www.ci.edmonds.wa.us/); "2009 Population Trends," p. 23-l," 2010 Population Trends, State of Washington Office of Financial Management, (http://www.ofm.wa.gov/pop/april1/poptrends.pdf); “Commissioners Proceedings, Special Session, June 1890,” Snohomish Eye, June 28, 1890, p. 1; Snohomish County Auditor's Office, Everett, Commissioner Records, Vol. 3, p. 361; State of Washington, Secretary of State¹s Office, Washington State Archives, No. 51 August 14, 1890; “Copy of Proceedings had in the matter of the Election to Incorporate the Town of Edmonds,” City of Edmonds, City Clerk, Edmonds City Council Minutes, August 1890 and January 1891 in the Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Archives, Bellingham; Edmonds Municipal Government: City Ordinances, 1890-1938; Edmonds City Council Minutes, 1890-1913.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You